Its kindling for the fire! This piece of cork poster board with far-fetched images and ideals is driving me mad. 2020 is not at all what I thought it would be. I thought this year would be my “phoenix.” A rising from the ashes and coming into a new season. Ha! Nonsense. Each month I’m more in shock of what surprises the universe pulls from Pandora’s purse. And I am not the only one.
It’s exciting to have goals and dreams. To execute plans and see things come to fruition. But with each passing year, adapting to the “wrenches” thrown into the cogwheels of my best laid endeavors has been harder to adapt to. So, I’m throwing out my vision board. It’s time to start fresh and here are my suggestions for making a more successful Vision Board for the second half of 2020:
1. BE REALISTIC: You don’t have all the time in the world. Access is limited. With quarantine,
shutdowns, and the second wave of COVID it’s time to be honest about what we can achieve
where we are. So, let's look at a few examples where it's better to be For Real rather than Fairy Tale:
a. WEIGHT LOSS: a healthy amount of weight to lose is 1-2 lbs a week. Firstly, always consult with your physician prior to starting any weight loss or workout program. Being Safe is Being Smart! Remember a healthy BMI 18.5-24.9. If you use images of
celebrities who are not your height or age and have probably had some form of cosmetic enhancement, in addition to being photoshopped, this will only discourage you. Try to use more fitness centered and healthy eating imagery rather than pics of supermodels.
b. RELATIONSHIPS: if you keep attracting the “wrong” type or you notice a repeating pattern in your connections, a Relationship Board may be helpful. Vision boards are based on the law of attraction. It’s like that line in “Field of dreams” where Kevin Costner says: “if you build it, he will come.” If you want to settle down, affirm a commitment, or find a serious connection it may be helpful to list the criteria of the person you would like to attract. Focus on the inner qualities rather than external appearance. Building a real connection requires transparency.
2. A TANGIBLE BOARD WORKS BETTER: you are looking at this every day. It needs to be able to adapt. When I first did my board, I did not account for adversity. I did not plan for a global pandemic, did you? My travel plans did not consist of staycations. But with a Tangible board you can adapt! Add and remove imagery and modify as needed. This will help you stay on track and stay positive!
3. LOCATION AND APPEAL: Your Vision Board needs to be someplace where you can see it clearly and daily! It needs to be somewhere you can take time and look at it and focus. The more you put into it the more you will get out so make it Pop! It needs to appeal to your senses so it can be interactive and make a permanent effect on you.
4. BE HONEST! Whatever you do don’t lie to yourself. Whether it's about making more money or Buying home. Be honest about where you are and what it will take to get where you want to go. The Universe is not handing out free rides so it will take hard work and determination.
5. IT TAKES PRACTICE! The more you do it. The better you will get at it, like everything else in life.